Since 2016, smart phones have entered the era of full screen. Lei Jun once said that as long as he stands on the air, even pigs can fly. Major mobile phone makers also took advantage of the trend, have begun to study a full screen mobile phone. How to achieve a larger screen share is currently a problem that needs to be solved. Here, Apple has just released Face id, and Android has put out fingerprints on the screen, and you sing me to the stage. The end is a drama.
Today, Xiao Bian came to chat with everyone about the new technology of under-screen fingerprinting, and opened its mystery to see what it was like.
Underprint fingerprint technology implementation scheme and principle
Currently known under-the-screen fingerprint identification schemes are mainly divided into two directions: one is to use optics and the other is to use ultrasound.
The optical scheme technology has a long history, mainly based on the anti-reversion principle, but it has not been applied to smart phones until 2017. The main reason is that the size of the optical sensor is too large, and the system cannot recognize the skin dermis, and thus the safety relatively low. Since 2016, SIEMENS and Huiding have successively released a new generation of optical fingerprinting solutions, which are still based on the principle of anti-folding, and additionally superimpose small-hole imaging and lens imaging functions to improve the recognition accuracy. Thanks to the break of OLED barriers, the maturity of technology, and the foreseeable cost reduction, optical solutions have become one of the most important means of fingerprint identification under the screen.
OLED is active light, theoretically it can be precisely controlled to every sub-pixel point, so the OLED material screen is more ideal emission light source, in addition, OLED display module is thinner, can also be reduced due to the placement of the fingerprint sensor belt under the screen The overall body thickness comes from the problem. At present, there are three development directions in the industrial chain that use OLED screens:
1. A CMOS sensor is arranged directly below the screen, and the gap between the sub-pixels of the OLED is used to allow the light to pass through, thereby identifying the fingerprint;
2. Reduce the sensor and insert it between the pixels of the OLED;
3. The CMOS sensor is made transparent and directly mounted on top of the AMOLED screen, and the optical fingerprint recognition is made into a recognition layer.
Another fingerprint recognition direction is to use ultrasonic fingerprinting. Qualcomm plans to call it Sense ID, and FPC, the leading company in fingerprint recognition, has just released their plans. Ultrasonic needs neither photosensitive element nor capacitive sensing, so it is more suitable for fingerprint recognition under the screen. The full-screen fingerprinting used by the Vivo demonstrator is based on Qualcomm's solutions and Ophelia's modules. The large-scale application of ultrasonic fingerprinting mobile phones is not too many.
Screen Fingerprint Industry Chain and Supplier
The industrial chain of optical fingerprinting solutions is mainly divided into algorithms and chips (core areas), CMOS (converts optical signals into electrical signals), Lens (mainly microlens arrays), filters, and product packages. On the whole, CSC believes that the most noteworthy domestic manufacturers in the fingerprint industry chain under the optical screen include the upstream solution provider Huiding Technology and the downstream exclusive packaging manufacturer Ouffy Technologies.
The following is the market structure (scale, major manufacturers) of the optical fingerprinting scheme industry chain:
1. Algorithm chip: In the short term, Huiding, Xinsi or will temporarily divide the optical fingerprint market, according to the optical and ultrasonic solutions market in 2019 accounting for 7:3, of which the optical program and the chip accounted for 50% of the total identification module. The unit price of the module is US$10, which is expected to bring about nearly US$400 million in revenue for the scheme vendors.
2. Lens: The major overseas companies are Da Liguang, Yu Jingguang, and Guan Dong Chen Mei. Among them, Da Liguang is the traditional leader in the optical lens industry, and Guan Dongchenmei is an important supplier of Apple's industrial chain. The fastest-growing company in the field of equipment such as video cameras and vehicles.
3. CMOS: The major international providers include Sony, Samsung, Hynix, Cowell (acquired by Chinese companies) and Ansonmei etc.; Domestic focus is on Geko Micro (In cooperation with SMIC, the company In 2017, it has grown to become the second largest CMOS chip manufacturer in the world after Sony.
4. Packaging: The main companies are Ouffy Technology (the exclusive supplier of Android-based fingerprint module packaging), Qiu Titanium Technology, BYD Electronics, Samsung, and TDK. It is estimated that in 2019, global shipments of fingerprint devices will exceed 100 million units. According to US$10 per module, the market size will be nearly US$1 billion. Assuming that Ophfior Technology City accounts for 50%, the identification module will bring the company About US$500 million in revenue.
The industrial chain of the ultrasonic fingerprinting program can be divided into three parts: the algorithmic chip, the sensor and the package. The upstream of the sensor is mainly the piezoelectric material.
The following is the market status of the ultrasonic fingerprinting solution industry chain:
1. Algorithmic chip: At present, Qualcomm is the only enterprise in this field that has implemented the commercial program. In addition to Qualcomm, manufacturers such as Innovation, InvenSense, and FPC are also exploring corresponding solutions.
2. Piezoelectric materials: At present, Qualcomm uses PVDF organic polymer materials, Sofanovation and InvenSense use piezoelectric ceramic materials, and major manufacturers include Singapore IME and domestic Tricyclic Group.
3, sensors: InvenSense, TSMC, STMicroelectronics and other overseas companies.
4. Packaging: At present, Qualcomm's main partners are Taiwan GIS and Ouffy Technologies.
Currently using mobile phone fingerprint recognition technology
VIVO X20Plus UD
The first is the first fingerprint mobile phone under the screen, VIVO X20Plus UD, this phone is the X20 screen fingerprint version, belong to the first generation, configuration and X20 is no different. As for the fingerprint experience, although it is an early generation, it is still quite good. Of course, there is no traditional recognition speed, and only the fixed area can be identified.
Vivo X21 uses screen fingerprint + facial recognition program. The under-screen fingerprint on the front of the mobile phone does not have any visible physical structure, and does not notch or open the hole, so that the full-screen mobile phone achieves an integrated appearance.
Unlocked by the OLED screen, the vivox21 fingerprint unlocks the light, penetrates the cover plate to the screen surface, and the finger pressing position causes the reflected light to be different due to the different lines of the finger, and the light reflection reaching the fingerprint penetrates the screen to reach the fingerprint sensor. A fingerprint image is formed based on the reflected light.
Equipped with the third-generation screen fingerprint technology, the fingerprint identification module is hidden under the full screen, and there is no physical unlocking module on the front, which satisfies the user's positive fingerprint unlocking habits and better guarantees the integrated appearance of the mobile phone.
Huawei Mate RS
Huawei's Mate RS, this phone can be described as Huawei's most expensive mobile phone, as well as Porsche version, with curved screen, equipped with Kirin 970, there are powerful three cameras. The main thing is that it also supports fingerprints under the screen, but this phone has fingerprints on the screen as well as post-fingerprints.
Millet 8 Exploration Edition
By Rebs himself, the phone will use fingerprints on the screen.
It is reported that Xiaomi 8 exploration version of the fingerprint technology used by the screen is still relatively mature optical identification program, but millet 8 for its added pressure-sensitive screen design, combined with the fingerprint under the screen, so while unlocking, pressure The pressure value can be recorded more accurately, helping to better unlock.
Samsung Galaxy S10
According to reports, the Samsung Galaxy S10 fingerprint technology under the screen uses the implementation of ultrasonic sensors. Ultrasonic fingerprint recognition is a technology that differentiates fingerprint shapes and features by changing the intensity and position of ultrasonic waves. Due to the nature of ultrasound transmission through the object, the sensor can be operated from the back of the panel. Samsung uses this technology to have a small impact on panel structure and image quality.
According to Huang Zhang, I personally admit that the Meizu 16 will carry Xiaolong 845 and 8GB for storage, and standard fingerprints under the screen.
According to the news, last month, Apple also submitted to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office the fingerprint patents used on smart phones.
Under the screen fingerprint technology more enchanting, vivo / Huawei / Xiaomi / Samsung
The patent shows that Apple has adopted a safer ultrasound solution than the commonly used photoelectric under-the-screen fingerprints.
Under the screen fingerprint technology more enchanting, vivo / Huawei / Xiaomi / Samsung
At the same time, Apple's solution can also identify multiple fingerprints in multiple areas of the screen at the same time. In comparison, vivo fingerprint technology applied to volume production can only be effective in a small area.
Screen fingerprint technology development trend
According to the “Display Fingerprint Technology and Market Report of 2018”, it is expected that the smartphone shipments using the fingerprint sensor under the screen this year will reach at least 9 million units, and will exceed 100 million units next year. In the next three years, the market will continue to maintain rapid growth.
At the same time, it is speculated that under-screen fingerprints will be more popular than structured light, and because the maturity of the supply chain for fingerprints under optical screens is relatively high, suppliers such as Synopsys and Huiding have already achieved good mass production and are receiving end points. Driven by new brands such as vivo, Huawei, and Xiaomi, this year, the global supply of fingerprint identification chips under optical screens is about 20 million. Design companies represented by Synopsys and Goodix are represented by Ofilm. The module company will directly benefit.
The under screen ultrasound solution represented by Qualcomm and FPC is still in the end-customer verification stage. In the short term, the momentum of development is slightly later than the fingerprint under the optical screen. Whether it can be used in the future, we still have to wait for the industrial chain to mature next year. Degree of situation.